Disclaimer:

All material on this website is provided for your information only and may not be construed as medical advice or instruction and should not take the place of health care or services you may need. No action or inaction should be taken based solely on the contents of this information; instead, readers should consult appropriate health professionals on any matter relating to their health and well-being.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Nutrition Food Label Facts

After an adventure with my waffle syrup, I decided I would post some information on food labeling, including the nutrition facts label on foods. I won't mention any brand names, but the other day I was in the supermarket to buy another bottle of syrup. I found a brand that was different from my usual one that was cheaper so I decided to try it, especially since it was their "lite--reduced calorie" version. Well, if that was their lite version, I'd hate to taste the regular. It was advertised as being half the calories of their regular syrup but was still so sweet that I had trouble eating it. I neglected to look at the nutrition facts label when I bought it and now I wish I had. Their "lite" version contains 24 grams of sugar in a 1/4 cup serving. I looked at a 12 oz. soda can and that contained 40 grams of sugar, so in just 2 oz. of syrup, you're getting as much sugar as in over a half a can of soda. Their regular version would have more sugar in a 2 oz. serving than there is in a can of soda. There's no fat in it so all those calories come from the sugar syrup and high fructose corn syrup that are the second and third ingredients on the label.

It is important to not just pick up something because it's the "lite" version or whatever else they're calling it, but you must also read the nutrition facts label to see what is really in it. Brands vary widely by the amount of sugar and other additives they add so read before you buy! An excellent resource in understanding nutrition facts labels is How to Understand and Use the Nutrition Facts Label from the FDA.

Here are some definitions:

Reduced fat means that a product has 25% less fat than the same regular brand.

Light means that the product has 50% less fat than the same regular product.

Low fat means a product has less than 3 grams of fat per serving.

Here are a couple other links to some great information on food labels:

Deciphering Food Labels (Nemours Foundation)

Food Label Helps Consumers Make Healthier Choices (Food and Drug Administration)

2 comments:

  1. Some facts are really unknown for me. Thanks for share these facts. Really I am so lucky to know this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This label is usually located on the back or side of packaging. A qualified health care provider, authorized nutritionist or dietitian can provide any specific information on food labels to find.

    ReplyDelete