Disclaimer:

All material on this website is provided for your information only and may not be construed as medical advice or instruction and should not take the place of health care or services you may need. No action or inaction should be taken based solely on the contents of this information; instead, readers should consult appropriate health professionals on any matter relating to their health and well-being.

Friday, July 2, 2010

Too much fructose could raise your blood pressure

OK, this is for all you soda (and other sweet beverage) drinkers out there--and that includes me. There have been studies done that have shown that drinking too many sweet beverages can raise your blood pressure. As a medical librarian, I've come across articles about sugar and blood pressure before, but I just saw this news item on MedlinePlus. If you want to read the whole article, here's the link: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_100643.html.

If you like to read research articles, I found an article in the Journal of Pediatrics that talks about the effect of sweetened beverages on adolescents. Here's the link to the full text of that article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2727470/?tool=pubmed.

My blood pressure has been a little high lately so I think I will take heed of this research and cut back on my sugar intake. When you're out shopping for beverages, be sure to check the labels because you'd be amazed by the amount of sugar in some of those drinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment